Yukon just had too much for Jim Hammons' Lady Chicks to deal with Saturday night in the girls' championship of the Chickasha Invitational soccer tournament. The Millerettes totally dominated the young Lady Chicks and breezed their way to a 4-0 win and the title.

Chickasha was pinned in for almost seventy of the eighty match minutes, fighting off shot after shot. Yukon put almost forty shots on goal, but to the Chicks' defensive credit, they were only able to finish four.

Yukon was aggressive right out of the blocks. On their first possession of the match, forward Kate Nickel ran right through the corner flag and busted it right off its base chasing down a ball. It gave the crowd a laugh, but it turned out to be a message of what was to come.

Kat Dwiggins got the Millerettes on the board early with a cross to Kiley McKee, who gave them a quick 1-0 lead. Yukon played in front of the Chick's net for the rest of the first half, moving the ball around at will and popping shot after shot. Kayla Wright fed Lara Nickel to put Yukon up 2-0 with five minutes left.

Millerette keeper Destiny Rachel saw the ball for the first time a full thirty minutes in on a long ball from the center line that was more a Chick frustration hit than anything else.

Chickasha only got into Yukon's half three times very briefly and never got close to getting any offense going. Alicia Cave served up a nice ball on a direct kick on Chickasha's only deep penetration in the closing seconds but Yukon controlled and cleared it easily as time ran out.

The Millerettes scored in the first minute of the second half on a long service from Kate Nickel to Wright to extend to 3-0 and play went on as it had been, on Chickasha's half. Dwiggins got her second assist, setting up Kate Nickel for Yukon's fourth goal halfway in and the score held for the win.

The Chicks were overmatched by the veteran 6A team but scrapped hard throughout and took runner-up honors.

They opened play against Guymon in the first match of the day and came away with a 1-0 win on a set piece. Cave's forty-yarder found Kaysee Coponiti on the weak side and Coponiti buried the ball from the elbow for the winner.

They essentially scrimmaged their semifinal match against Edmond North's freshman team. The Huskies had a JV and a freshman side both playing without subs and Edmond wanted to take the forfeit to concentrate on their JV team's semi with Yukon being played at the same time on a different field. Hammons wanted to play so the coaches agreed to play one forty-minute half and Chickasha would advance.

The forty minutes went scoreless and the coaches agreed to go to a shootout to give the teams the experience. Coponiti got the only Chick score on her chance and Edmond took a 3-1 “win.”

It was a rough day for the Lady Chicks but they are playing much better and have shown a lot of improvement. They played some stiff competition Saturday and the experience will just make them better quicker.

They'll have another tough match Tuesday when they host Carl Albert then travel to Duncan on Friday.

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you