Myala Camargo

Chickasha goalkeeper Myala Camargo saves her third Lawton-Eisenhower penalty kick on Thursday to break the deadlock and send the Lady Chicks into the semifinals of the Chickasha Invitational.

Penalty kicks in soccer are considered one of the more difficult scenarios in sports.

The sheer mental pressure of the one-on-one situation can be nerve-racking. Chickasha goalkeeper Myala Camargo didn't show any, however, saving three Lawton-Eisenhower penalties as the Lady Chicks went on to win, 3-1, in the first round of the Chickasha Invitational.

"I wasn't patient; I was ready to dive at any side," Camargo said. "I was watching their hips, mainly, and from the movement, it all looked like they would go to the left side."

The game finished 2-2, with Chickasha twice coming back to tie. Freshman Maggie McGeough forced the game into penalties by scoring with three minutes remaining.

Su Xian Lim equalized first for Chickasha in the second half. Following a mad scramble in the box, Lim fired the ball toward goal where a deflection guided it into the net.

The Lady Chicks created plenty of chances, but they tone of the game changed about midway through the first half when Ike struck first. Chickasha was forced to chase, and goals were elusive.

McGeough was active all night up top, and she had a chance either side of the first Ike goal. After finding the ball in the box, her low shot, Chickasha's first on goal, rolled into the goalkeeper.

Immediately after the opener, Wilson had a one-on-one opportunity to the left of goal. The last-second shot was deflected wide and cleaned up by the Ike defense.

Senior Haley Black was next to try when she picked up the ball in space outside of the box with about 10 minutes left. Her low shot was saved, and junior Lydia Brown's follow-up attempt near the left post was blocked by two Ike defenders.

Chickasha continued to make its way forward, and the reward game with about 15 minutes to go when Lim's shot deflected in. Just as the celebrations were dying down, however, Ike struck again, this time with a hard shot from close range into the roof of the net.

McGeough was provided with a glorious chance to tie the game with six minutes to go. Senior Taylor Lessig worked down the right before finding her teammate wide open in the box, but the shot sailed over the bar.

Just as it looked like the moment had come and gone, McGeough drove into the box with the ball and made amends. She took one shimmy before breezing past a defender to the right and slotting the ball inside the near post to tie the game.

Camargo seized momentum by saving Ike's first penalty. Lessig, Black and Ashlin Tryczak all dispatched their spot kicks with ease to put Chickasha well out front.

One final Camargo save sealed the deal.

"Sometimes we may slack off, but once we see each other pick it up, we all start giving it our all," Camargo said. "We know each one of us has something to give. I think we'll see this as the season starts now, and it doesn't end until state."

Chickasha will now play at 11 a.m. on Saturday in the girls' semifinals.

Trending Video

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you