November 15, 2013

Grady teams split in first week of playoffs

The Express-Star


Chickasha season ends with loss to undefeated Guthrie

A foreboding great wall – the cornerstone of Guthrie’s “The Rock” stadium – towered over the Fightin’ Chicks as they entered their first playoff game since 2006.

While they were welcome to it, they certainly could not get over it. Guthrie was ruthless in their 40-3 win to send Chickasha out of the postseason. The signs were bad from the start for the Fightin’ Chicks, who were battling an undefeated Guthrie team and the same school that sent them out of the playoffs seven years prior. Their mobile offensive leader, senior quarterback Cade Morris, was limited with an injury, and it showed with only 53 yards of total offense.

With the offense battered and bruised, the Chickasha defense stepped into the frame to provide traveling fans with an enjoyable performance. They held the Bluejays to a Luis Morales 40-yard field goal on their first drive after the Chickasha punt left the home team starting at midfield. It was a 3-0 lead, but it could have been so much worse. Later on, it was.

On Guthrie’s second drive, the infamous Kai Callins got loose. A run up the middle was quickly cut to the right, where open field brought the running back to a sprint right into the right corner. The extra point made it 10-0, and Guthrie was only beginning. Callins finished with 60 yards rushing off 12 attempts.

With none of the Fightin’ Chicks runners on a head of steam yet, the Bluejays defense pounced for some easy points. When Josh Latham was hit as he struggled to control a handoff from Morris, the ball was popped out and scooped up for another Guthrie touchdown. With one quarter done, the game seemed almost over. 

But the Chickasha defense fought back, forcing a third and out and stopping the Blue Jays on 4th and 1 to get the ball back for one last drive of the half. A facemask penalty at the end of a Latham run put the Chicks inside Guthrie territory, and a pass interference call took them even closer to what would have been a huge momentum swing. Chickasha scored, but it wasn’t quite the blow they would have wanted. Sterling Claphan boomed a field goal 47 yards and split the uprights to make the score 17-3 at halftime.

The Bluejays didn’t let their two touchdown lead go to their heads and came out flying. They quickly drove down the field behind Callins and mobile quarterback Reed Roberts. Evan Copeland pulled down Callins to keep Guthrie out of the end zone, but the field goal made it a 17 point lead.

From their own 20, Chickasha was slow out of the break and had to punt. This time, Guthrie did find the end zone. A screen pass caught the defense off guard, and Idae Alexander ran all of 59 yards for a touchdown. Oron Bowman stepped up to block the point after attempt, but it was a small consolation. The Bluejays were cruising, up 26-3 as the third quarter ended.

The longer the second half went, the further up against the great wall Chickasha was pushed. Alexander put them to the sword with a cutting run down the left, this time only 27 yards before crossing into the end zone. Callins got one more before it all ended off a 12 yard pass from Roberts to make it a rout.

Defending champs dominate in first round

The Blanchard Lions won their first playoff game of the postseason 76-13 against the Perkins-Tryon Demons. 

Blanchard’s first drive saw the Bulldogs move the ball with their running game. On the third play Senior Braden Stringer scored a touchdown with a long rushing play. 

After the Lions forced the Demons to punt they also were forced to punt on their next drive putting the ball on The Demons 12 yard line. Blanchard then stripped the ball on the Demon’s first play and was returned for a touchdown by Senior Jalan Daniels.

The first quarter saw three more scores from the Lions, with Senior Blake Owen thrwing two touchdown passes. One to Junior Colin Andrews and a 75 yards touchdown pass. 

Lion Senior Logan Wright intercepted  a tipped screen pass on the lions first drive of the second quarter. After the interception Blake Owen threw another touchdown pass this time to Sophomore Kegan Lawson.

Braden Stringer scored his third touchdown late in the second quarter. Another tiped pass was intercepted this time by Senior Trevor Harrison.

Perkins-Tryon scored twice in the second half. 

The fourth quarter saw one last score from the Lions when Sophomore Parker Williams had a  53 yard run for a touchdown. 

Tuttle second half closes Bethany's season

In a tail of two very different halfs, Tuttle defeated Bethany to continue their quest for a stage championship.

Bethany opened the scoring on a Kyle Duke 57 yard touchdown run after the Bronchos defense held the Tigers on a third down conversion. 

After the Tigers caused Bethany to go three-and-out, Tuttle went 75 yards to the endzone. Jesse Gregory found a seam and scored on 40 yard touchdown run to lock it up at 7-7. Bethany answered after Bronchos quarterback Kyle Duke, found receiver Dalton Stout on a 19 yard touchdown pass but the Bronchos missed on the extra-point conversion. Tuttles Jesse Gregory found a hole on the Tigers next drive and went 40 yards to put the Tigers on the Broncho 23 yard line. A field goal made it a 13-10 game in Bethany's favor at the half.

Tuttle running back Morgan Neal busted through the middle and scored on a 69 yard touchdown run to put Tuttle ahead for the first time in the game early in the second half. 

Neither team scored again until Tuttle running back Jesse Gregory found the endzone on a 33 yard touchdown. Another touchdown sealed the game 31-13. 

The Tigers move on to play in the second round on Nov. 22.  

Minco trades blows, ends on top

It was a chess matchup for the Minco Bulldogs (10-1) and the Velma-Alma Comets with the whole game going back and forth. The contest would go down to the wire with the Bulldogs playing defense to make the final stand. The final score of the game was 49-32 in the favor of Minco High School. 

The Comets would make it interesting trying to score on one of their last offensive drive of the game, but the drive stalled out due to an illegal participation call that made it 3rd and 36. 

Minco would put the icing on the cake with 2:32 left in the game off a 30 yard run by senior Jacob Overton who scored five offensive touchdowns giving the Bulldogs the win.

Overton had three running touchdowns and two passing touchdowns, along with being the main offensive output for Minco.

Minco High School will take on Apache High School in the second round of the playoffs on Friday Nov. 22 at 7:30 p.m. 

Apache won their game 19-7 to move on to the second round against the Bulldogs.

Passing game fortifies Rush Springs loss against Cashion Friday night

Rush Springs season came to an abrupt end Friday night with a first round playoff loss to Cashion 50-27. 

Cashion, led by freshman quarterback Matt Harmon, jumped on the Redskins quickly and scored all of their points in the first half. 

The Redskins relied on running backs Logan Jeffcoat and Colt Beard tried to keep the game close, but Cashion's arial assault was too much. 

Cashion showed a five man receiver set most of the night, which the Redskins saw rarely in their district play. 

The defensive backs for Rush Springs played hard, but were overwhelmed with the precision passing of Harmon. 

Coach Tim Beard addressed the Redskins after the tough loss saying that they left everything on the field and every player should hold their head up high.