Chickashanews.com

August 8, 2013

City gets 'Mite'y response for sign removal

Adam Troxtell
The Express-Star

CHICKASHA — Mighty Mite football organizers and parents were left in a tizzy earlier this week when signs advertising league registration were removed from locations across town.

City staff removed the signs early this week, City Manager Stuart Fairburn said, which is a time  when they normally round up signs that have been left from over the weekend.

"They were picking up old garage sale signs and things like that," Fairburn said. "This got wrapped up altogether with that."

Joseph Gonzalez, Mighty Mite league president and former city council member, said all signs are now back up after he spoke with city staff and officials.

"It did make me upset," Gonzalez said. "When you drive around you'll see Century 21, signs advertising for burgers or this and that three feet from the curb. Then they go around and pick up the stuff for the kids. That's what this is all about. But there's no problem now. We've got it all squared away."

Chickasha city code sec. 14-5-5 prohibits placing signs upon "any public or private building, fence, sidewalk, bridge, viaduct, post, automobile, other vehicle or other property of another without the consent of the owner or person in charge thereof."

However, Fairburn said the city is aware of some anger stemming from the removal of the Mighty Mite signs, which advertise league signups for Aug. 11 and 18.

To prevent occurrences in the future, Fairburn said city staff would be more aware of what signs they are picking up and also set up a type of waiver system.

"We're trying to be more lenient about signs for little league and youth sports," he said. "We can have something that says this kind of sign will be up between this time and that time, so those are fine."