November 15, 2013

Grady teams split in first week of playoffs


Chickasha season ends with loss to undefeated Guthrie

A foreboding great wall – the cornerstone of Guthrie’s “The Rock” stadium – towered over the Fightin’ Chicks as they entered their first playoff game since 2006.

While they were welcome to it, they certainly could not get over it. Guthrie was ruthless in their 40-3 win to send Chickasha out of the postseason. The signs were bad from the start for the Fightin’ Chicks, who were battling an undefeated Guthrie team and the same school that sent them out of the playoffs seven years prior. Their mobile offensive leader, senior quarterback Cade Morris, was limited with an injury, and it showed with only 53 yards of total offense.

With the offense battered and bruised, the Chickasha defense stepped into the frame to provide traveling fans with an enjoyable performance. They held the Bluejays to a Luis Morales 40-yard field goal on their first drive after the Chickasha punt left the home team starting at midfield. It was a 3-0 lead, but it could have been so much worse. Later on, it was.

On Guthrie’s second drive, the infamous Kai Callins got loose. A run up the middle was quickly cut to the right, where open field brought the running back to a sprint right into the right corner. The extra point made it 10-0, and Guthrie was only beginning. Callins finished with 60 yards rushing off 12 attempts.

With none of the Fightin’ Chicks runners on a head of steam yet, the Bluejays defense pounced for some easy points. When Josh Latham was hit as he struggled to control a handoff from Morris, the ball was popped out and scooped up for another Guthrie touchdown. With one quarter done, the game seemed almost over. 

But the Chickasha defense fought back, forcing a third and out and stopping the Blue Jays on 4th and 1 to get the ball back for one last drive of the half. A facemask penalty at the end of a Latham run put the Chicks inside Guthrie territory, and a pass interference call took them even closer to what would have been a huge momentum swing. Chickasha scored, but it wasn’t quite the blow they would have wanted. Sterling Claphan boomed a field goal 47 yards and split the uprights to make the score 17-3 at halftime.

Text Only