March 29, 2014

Boys bounce back in consolation win

Adam Troxtell
The Express-Star


Perhaps still smarting a bit from the previous afternoon, Chickasha came out with a point to prove in their home tournament consolation semifinal against Elgin Saturday morning.

A 2-0 win, their second of the season, did just that. Two first half goals probably should have turned into more in the latter frame with the amount of chances they created for themselves in the attacking third.

But a win, especially after a resounding loss in the opening round, is a welcome relief.

“We wanted it,” said Cooper Mosley, whose converted penalty two minutes from halftime doubled Chickasha’s advantage. “We’re tired of losing and tired of running in practice for losing.”

Goals at the other end were complimented by a fine performance at the back, where Montana Stonecalf, TJ Filer and Cody Ray did enough to keep the likes of Elgin’s Jax Taylor at bay. Taylor seemed to be at the forefront of any attack, especially in the first half, but the Owls were only able to truly threaten the Chickasha goal on a few occasions.

In contrast, Josh Webb was certainly a contributing factor to Chickasha’s inability to score more. The goalkeeper was in fine form, throwing in a few fantastic saves to keep Elgin at least within sight of a comeback.

It looked quite different, however, when on eight minutes Devin Warden opened the scoring. He latched onto a bouncing ball down the left before sending it across goal looking for central forward Cole Young. Young could only control it before pressure arrived, but he held off and did well to find Warden cutting in before the shot went low to the goalkeeper’s right and in. 

Twenty minutes passed with Cooper Mosley doing his best to find teammates running in behind the Elgin defense. On one such occasion, the referee deemed a shot to have hit an Elgin players’ hand inside the box. Mosley was cool as ice with the spot kick, easily slotting it to the left for the 2-0 halftime lead.

Chance after chance fell for Chickasha in the second half, but to no avail. Webb was outstanding, but could only watch on one occasion as Warden’s rolling shot hit the base of the post. Magyver Boles picked it up, got around his man and fired a shot to the near left post only to see it cannon off the upright once again. 

Elgin’s best chance to pull one back came from a Bradyn Sellars corner kick with about 11 minutes to play. Zach Taylor jumped high in the air for the header, but Chickasha goalkeeper Riley Williams was there to get his fingertips to the shot and push it onto the bar and out. 

While pleased with the result, head coach Scott Parkinson said Chickasha need to learn how to maintain a top performance level game-to-game.

“I think it was a good response for the first half,” Parkinson said. “It seems like we play well for a full game or a half, it goes to their head, and it’s a catastrophe. It’s almost like we play better when we’re wounded, and that’s not acceptable. We’ve got to find a way of keeping that level, regardless of score or opposition.”

Chickasha play in the boys consolation final at 5 p.m.