January 10, 2014

CHS boys fall in overtime thriller

CHICKASHA — The term “Chickasha Classic” was apt in the boys’ game, as the Fightin’ Chicks nearly pulled off a shock upset of No. 19 Altus, only to fall 68-64 in overtime.

The game had it all, from technical fouls to a dramatic scoreboard malfunction. Freshman Brock Henderson put up 33 points as Chickasha battled back from as much as a 13 point deficit. Altus took the lead late in the extra period and the Chicks were not able to answer.

Chickasha eased into the game like a man into a warm bath. Altus’ Malik Knight started with a quick four points, two off a steal on the ensuing rebound. Devin Wilkerson was hot early on as well, sinking four first half threes that helped the Bulldogs to a big 21-8 lead after the first quarter.

The Fightin’ Chicks came back to outscore Altus in the second quarter. Bulldogs coach Ricky Bull bemoaned his teams rebounding on the defensive boards, and it helped Chickasha to 18 second quarter points. Chickasha was down by just 12 at the break.

If the first half was slow, the Fightin’ Chicks blazed into the second. An 11-2 run brought them to within three just minutes into the third quarter. A Henderson close-range jumper gave Chickasha its first lead of the game with 2:40 left, and it turned into a dogfight as they held until the fourth quarter.

Altus struck back, taking the lead once more with about five minutes to go, but things took a turn for the worse for Altus. After getting the opportunity for an inbound down low, two technical fouls were called on Jeremiah Ward and leading scorer Wilkerson. That was Wilkerson’s fifth, and he exited the game with a team leading 16 points. Henderson made the four foul shots, and the game was tied 53-53 with four minutes to go.

The Fightin’ Chicks took the lead through Levi Kel free throws, but a layup and later a three from Jacob Cope sent it back Altus’ way.  After a turnover, Chickasha took it back with Cole Young converting from the right block to make it 59-58 with a minute left. But with just two seconds on the clock, Trevon Pollard got a rebound from a corner three to sink a layup and take the game into overtime.

With Altus up 66-64, a scoreboard malfunction meant the remaining 39 seconds would have to be called by the PA announcer. Young got a chance late on when he was fouled on a layup, but he was unable to convert the chance.

Text Only
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
AP Video
Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction Malaysian PM: Stop Fighting in Ukraine Cantor Warns of Instability, Terror in Farewell Ravens' Ray Rice: 'I Made a Huge Mistake' Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN