January 10, 2014

Chicks close out 2-OT win

Adam Troxtell
The Express-Star

CHICKASHA — For the second time in two days, the Chickasha boys went to extra periods to see out a game in their own tournament.

This time, the ending made it much more worth it. The Fightin’ Chicks (2-5) topped Duncan 73-66 in double-overtime, sending them through to the consolation final against Mt. St. Mary on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. Coming off a 28-point performance the night before, freshman guard Brock Henderson led the line once again with 29 points and six of the last seven to cement the Chickasha win.

“What’s great about Brock is he is so efficient,” head coach Nathan Pennypacker said. “It doesn’t take him 25 shots to get there. He’s a smart player, he doesn’t take bad shots, he knows when to pass it, when to jump stop.”

But it could have gone differently. Duncan came back twice from double-digit deficits, led by the combined efforts of Ben Petersen, who finished with 23 points, and Nathan Clark, who had 17.

“Duncan is a great, scrappy team,” Pennypacker said. “[Petersen] tried to take over and will his team to victory, and he almost did. I had the guys watch their game yesterday. Lawton is a great team, so they kind of put it to them. We came out flat, I could see it in the locker room and in warm-ups.”

Petersen came out on fire for the Demons, sinking two threes and a few jumpers to put them up 10-6 early. The guard was Duncan’s main source of offense in the first half, mostly by taking his chances on the perimeter with the occasional drive.

In contrast, Henderson, who usually roams the backcourt for Chickasha looking for space or a lane, spent a lot of time in and around the lane. The Fightin’ Chicks were still able to find the freshman, and he made the chances count with 13 first half points. With Dalton Dismuke dominating in size for Duncan, Levi Kel offered a nice balance for the Chicks early on. He came away with six points in the first half.

 A deep bench to accommodate their fast paced game got involved for Chickasha, with Shawnee Jones and Caleb Crowder both grabbing three point shots to help Chickasha to a nine point lead at halftime.

The undoing of Duncan came down to the amount of fouls they picked up in the first half. Collin Klingensmith had four fouls in the first half, and Aaron Haley fouled out within two minutes of the second half without scoring any points. This made defense particularly hard for the Demons.

But they didn’t need it much, with the offense still firing. Two Petersen threes were the foundation for a 9-2 run that took Duncan from 11 points down in the third to within five by the time it ended. A Colten Christian long-range jumper ended the run, but Duncan had already brought themselves back in the game.

Chickasha closed it out with Henderson and sophomore Brandon Shumway leading the way. Shumway finished with 12 points that came steadily throughout the afternoon. Pennypacker said the point guard will come along in time and take opportunities like breakaway layups much more efficiently.

“That’s just coming with age,” Pennypacker said. “He’s a great player, and I give him a little bit of grief partly because I know we need him in this moment. But also because I know next year, he’ll have gone through all of this and fix some of his mistakes.”