May 2, 2014

Man arrested for alleged assault with a deadly weapon, public intoxication

By Rachel Snyder
The Express-Star

CHICKASHA — A fight escalated yesterday when a man allegedly pointed a shotgun at witnesses and threatened to shoot them.

Chickasha Police Sgt. Cliff Walker said he spoke with Brian Delk and Allison Fries, who told him they heard noise from the street and looked to find Jacob Woods involved in a fight in the 400 block of N. 12th Street.

Woods seemed to think Delk and Fries were the people he was in a fight with, but there was no indication they were involved in the fight, Walker said.

"They then told me that the fight had broke up and the other subject ran off to the east while [Woods] started walking back down 12th Street," he said. "They then advised that [Woods] returned a few moments later and he was carrying a shotgun. [Woods] pointed the shotgun at them and then began threatening to shoot them."

Woods appeared to be drunk, with bloodshot eyes and the smell of alcohol emanating from him, he said.

Walker said Woods' fiance, Kristen Brown, told him Woods had been drinking throughout the day and heard someone outside and became involved in an argument when he went out to check.

"A short time later, [Woods] returned and grabbed the shotgun and left out the door again," Walker said. "[Brown] said that she got into her car and followed him, trying to get him to return home. She was getting him into the car when I arrived on scene."

Woods was in [Brown's] car and yelling "they hit me," he said.

Walker said he heard Chickasha Police Lt. James Weidenmaier yelling while he was speaking to someone and turned to find Weidenmaier pointing his gun at Woods and yelling orders at him and went to assist.        

He said he put Woods in investigative detention and Weidenmaier confiscated a shotgun from a seat in the car Woods was in.

"[Woods] was claiming subjects in the yard had hit him with a tree branch," he said. "I did notice that he was bleeding from the mouth. He also complained that they hit him in the stomach and chest."

Walker said he took Woods to the jail, where he was belligerent and resisted the jailers.

"I was advised after the nurse checked him that I would need to have him medically cleared…I then transported [Woods] to the Grady Memorial ER where he continued with his behavior," Walker said. "There, he threatened and insulted not only myself and other officers, but also ER staff. His behavior was extremely disruptive and volatile until he had to be calmed down and sedated with medication."

Woods was arrested for assault with a dangerous weapon, possession of a firearm while intoxicated and public intoxication and taken to the Grady County Jail.