October is National Substance Abuse Prevention Month, a month-long observance that focuses on the role substance abuse prevention plays in promoting safe and healthy communities. In honor of National Prevention Month, the Red Rock Regional Prevention Coordinator (RPC) would like to remind you of their services.
The RPC’s primary focus is to serve as a community resource. We educate and inform communities through multiple strategies including community based services, environmental strategies, early recognition, and referral. Red Rock RPC provides services to a two county area which includes: Canadian and Grady Counties.
We take the proactive approach in reducing substance abuse among communities, specifically underage drinking, adult binge drinking, and the non-medical use of prescription drugs. We identify factors in a community that cause the risk of substance abuse and work to promote protective factors that serve to minimize the risk of substance use/abuse.
This program incorporates prevention activities such as:
• Technical support to area coalitions in the two county area
• Technical support to minimize gaps in current local laws through passing model local ordinances
• Assistance with alcohol and tobacco compliance operations
• Youth conferences/youth leadership trainings
• Town hall meetings
• Responsible Beverage Service and Sales training
• Place of Last Drink risk assessments
• Promote local prescription drop boxes
• Other environmental strategies
The RPC’s Mission is to Encourage individual responsibility, positive behavior, and personal growth; Strengthen families and communities; Promote a drug-free society through education, training, prevention, research, advocacy, and environmental strategies.
The idea is to equip communities, organizations, law enforcement, schools, and other community members so that they may have an impact on solving local problems and setting local norms.
For more information on services please contact the staff at the Red Rock RPC at (405)-354-1928 or visit the RPC website at www.redrockrpc.com.