January 11, 2012

UPDATE: Arrest made in death investigation

Debi DeSilver, Managing Editor,

— The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation has arrested George Bruce Rouse, Jr. in the death of Danny Ray Franklin. Rouse was booked into the Grady County Jail for first degree murder Wednesday morning at 6:25 a.m.

Court documents show that Rouse, 31, also known as "Bo", was on probation at the time of his arrest. He pleaded guilty in 2009 to a felony charge of feloniously pointing a firearm, which also involved a misdemeanor domestic abuse assault and battery charge.

An affidavit from Alex Chief of Police J. Huffines reported that he received a call of shots fired and possible suicide attempt on Nov. 26, 2009 at 3:20 a.m..

"Upon arrival at the scene I made contact with a Deputy Stewart and a male subject who explained to me that George "Bo" Rouse was in the house across the street with a .28 automatic gun and possibly a shotgun and he has stated that either he is going to kill himself or the police will," Huffines stated in the document.

A female identified as Rouse's sister approached the officers and said he had beaten her up and shot at her as she and her kids were attempting to get away from the house.

Huffines talked to Rouse via cell phone and "he was threatening to kill himself or shoot one of us (the police). After a moment he then hung up the phone … We then observed all the lights go out in the house and the front porch light went off. About this time two deputies who were situated on the southwest side of the house made radio contact with us and stated they heard shots fired," Huffines stated.

Rouse, however, began texting his stepfather who gave the phone to an investigator for the Grady County Sheriff's Office.

"They then talked on the phone for some time. the investigator then signaled to us that George was going to come out of the house," court documents show.

Huffines reported that the weapon was taken into custody and Rouse was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital Emergency Room for determination on whether or not he needed to be admitted to a mental facility.

"After the attending physician finished the examination, he then advised me that George would be placed into the mental facility at St. Anthony's Hospital in Oklahoma City," Huffines reported.

Court documents show that on Rouse's 2009 plea summary he listed depression as medical conditions. Records show that he received five years probation until the "21st day of January 2015."

Records also show that he attended a Grady County Drug Court program, completing it in December 2007, after a charge of first-degree burglary was dropped on condition he complete the drug program.